Teak shelf on the transom
Because the reinforcing planks run underneath the grate, blocking the square holes, I filled the edges with some old polyester laminating resin, thickened up with some old leftover chopped fiberglass.
Polyester resin shrinks a bit, but I cleaned the squares up with my Handy Dremel Tool and formed them into inverted funnels.
December 2008 --
This is cool, because it was nearly free. I didn't even have
to drill any new holes in the boat, because I already had
holes in the transom from
the original swim ladder.
It's a handy place to put a gas can,
to keep gasoline off the boat.
Also, if I need to mess with the monitor paddle, or install the emergency rudder, it will be a very secure place to sit and work.
I'm sure it will be a handly place to toss swim fins and stuff,
when pulling up in the dinghy.
I'm cleaning out the garage, and finding all sorts of stuff that I saved just in case I had a big idea.
I took some teak lumber, also stacked in the garage, and reinforced
the grate along the sides and back.
On each side, there's a thick "step", which is tied into a 3/4" thick teak plank that extends about three inches underneath the grate. The planks are joined with a wide rabbet. This thing is strong.
Along the back, there's a 3/4" thick teak plank, curved to fit the transom, that extends back under the grate.
The teak grate is originally from a cockpit sole grate.
The stainless bar across the back came from my
It's attached to the boat with heavy stainless hinges that I bought for
another project which
didn't work out. Those hinges are bolted through the old holes for the original transom swim ladder.
No new holes.
The laminating resin was covered with some Gel coat, also from the garage.
This is great.
There's a limit on the amount of stuff one can take
to the the county toxic waste disposal site in a single week,
and I just saved an entire trip.
The shelf is bolted to the transom using these really expensive stainless steel hinges.
I bought them for some other project,
years ago, and when they arrived via UPS I realized that I'd made a huge mistake.
But, I kept them, since they cost $30 each.
Hooray. I can use them for this.
They didn't have holes, so I drilled out holes
to match the old swim ladder pattern,
and then polished them up with an old bar of green stainless steel buffing compound.
Yes, folks, I'm filled with glee that after eight years on this boat I actually have a cool project made from scraps and leftovers.
Here's where I had to spend some bucks.
I had thought to use stainless U Bolts and
hang the aft end from the monitor tubes. After measuring, I realized it wouldn't
work. So I bought clamp-on rail mounts
(normally used for dodgers and biminis)
and attached a big eye bolt to the shelf.
I tried to make a bushing from G10 fiberglass, but finally just packed the eye with washers to avoid a point load on the eye.
The eye bolt passes through two inches of teak, although I drilled out the backside with a forstner bit so that the nut would be flush.
Anyway, I'm happy.
I waited until I was hauled out to install it, because there was a lot of last minute customization, and it was a lot easier to do it with the boat on the hard.
Total cost: about $70. Whee.