Port Quarterberth Lining - Phase One

Home ... s/v Stella Blue Home ... Trick Wood Stuff ... Projects

August 2005 --

This is another project that's been on my list since I bought the boat!

I decided to call this "phase one" and say it's done, because I took it to a point where I could live with it.
I'm about to dive into the whole "repower/steering/cockpit sole" project --
which I've been putting off for the last five years.

So I've been spending some time sailing and enjoying the boat and getting ready to plow into
rebuilding everything under the cockpit sole. (The sole itself is water soaked, so that's part of that project.)

Here's what I was looking at!

The vinyl liner had a foam rubber back, which was attached to the hull with a really strong adhesive. When I bought the boat, it was starting to come down. By 2005, the foam rubber was disintegrated.

The last time I did this,
on the starboard side,
I ripped out the quarterberth
in preparation for
the Nav Station project
,
so it was possible to make
a huge mess
by just taking it all off with a wire wheel and then hosing the boat down.

I'm not going to rip out the port quarterberth,
and don't want to make another mess!
Since the plan is to recover the hull
with light weight mahogany battens,
I just need to get as much goop off as possible
and stabilize the rest.

Here's a close up. The whole hull is covered with disintegrated foam rubber. It's sticky and nasty.
Anything that comes into contact with it
becomes all gooped up. Yuck.

I took off as much as possible using mineral spirits and a wire brush. Then I scrubbed it with mineral spirits and a rag. That removed the nasty goopy foam rubber entrails,
but the adhesive was still pretty sticky.

I had two fans going to keep the air clear.
Breathing solvents is bad.

Then I scrubbed and rubbed with "Goof Off". It's a serious solvent cocktail, and I wore a respirator and added a Third Fan
to keep exhausting the air from the boat.

There might be better adhesive removers available,
but many of them didn't list the chemical ingredients and I didn't want to risk using a chemical that would damage the hull laminate.
(Not to mention my liver and kidneys.)

The "Goof Off" helped, and if I had an entire week
it might have really cleaned it up well.
However, I stopped when the solvents
melted through my last pair of
Nitrile Chemical Resistant Stripping Gloves.

The remaining adhesive is down in the cracks in the roving,
and is smooth and only slightly sticky.
I think it's stable and will not fall off, so I'm going to make it part of the boat.

After all the solvents had evaporated and the boat smelled okay
(about four hours with
three big fans running)
I trial fit the battens.

These are 1/4" marine plywood strips, 2" wide and screwed into the hull, on 12" centers.

I want to minimize holes in the hull, so only put screws down where needed to bend the plywood into shape.

The interior laminate is only 1/4" thick before hitting the hull balsa core. The screws are only 3/8" long, but are countersunk and many of the holes penetrated into the core.

The screw holes were packed with epoxy, and the battens were painted with epoxy on all sides to seal the wood. The hull was also painted with epoxy, and the battens screwed on.

It is very, very important to seal with epoxy, so that condensation on the inside of the hull doesn't soak into the battens or get through the holes into the hull core! When it's cold outside, the interior of the hull can get very damp, and if water gets into the hull balsa core it would be devastating. Also, it would be very bad if the battens got wet and started to rot.

Then it was all painted.

I might not get around to finishing for a few months, so it needs to be presentable. I used Petit Easypoxy "Brightwork Brown" because the paint was old and needed to be used up.

The area that will be inside the cabinet is bright white to make it
easier to find things.

I masked off the bottom edge to keep epoxy from dripping down into the joint and epoxying the quarterberth lid on. I'd feel pretty stupid if that happened! I also taped plastic trash bags all over the quarterberth lid.

September 2005 --

I'm going to leave it like this for a while.
Once the cushions are back in and the quarterberth is stuffed with the usual crap, I can live with it for a while.
I'd rather make the clothes cabinet before installing the mahogany strips, anyway.
We're heading into winter and this is my winter to repower.
The great thing is I don't have that liner flopping around and leaving sticky foam goop on everything.