New Galley Faucet

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Plumbing Page ... Projects

 

 

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Plumbing Page ... Projects

Now it's time to get creative.

I used a four inch hole saw and made this disk of prefab FRP from McMaster-Carr, and used a grinder to rough it up.

February 2007 --

Here's an old picture of the galley faucet. It's original,
is frozen in one position, and leaks.

I've wanted to replace it for a long time, and since I'm pulling new
Flex-Pex pipe this seems like a good time.

Using that mounting plate as a pattern, I traced the hole onto the sink,
then broke out the saber saw
and very carefully cut the hole.
I made it a hair undersized.

I should have put masking tape down
on the stainless steel. Now I'll have to go back and scrub off the black scuff marks from the saw.

Rather than get a "marine" galley faucet, I just picked up a nice one from the hardware store.

This has the control integral with the faucet, and will reach further
out into the sink.

Since the new faucet was designed for a normal household sink, it comes with a typical mounting plate.

This won't work on my boat.
It's too big.
I'll need to enlarge the existing hole to be exactly 1-7/8",
and fit the faucet down into the stainless steel sink.

That will make it a challenge to fasten the new faucet down, because the new faucet has a funny looking gizmo that's designed to be pressed hard against the bottom of the counter.

So I'll need to get creative
to fit the new one on securely.

The wood only extended around the back half of the hole, so the nut underneath never really had a grip on the fixture. Interesting.

 

Taking the old one off was pretty easy. I discovered plywood under the stainless steel. It was wet, but not the least bit rotten.

Amazing.

Using a popsicle stick, the disk is held flush against the plywood behind the sink.

The edge of the plywood is visible, and you can see how it only makes it part of the way around the hole. That explains why the
old fixture was never very secure.

The little fiberglass disk will provide a good surface for the new mounting hardware.

Then, carefully and slowly, the edge was
smoothed out and enlarged with my
Handy Dremel Tool.

Eventually, the new fixture fit.
It's a very tight fit, and that's good.

I hadn't thought about the ring on the sink, scratched on by the old fixture's
mounting ring. Oh well.

I slathered a bit of really thick West System epoxy, thickened up with colloidal silica,
on the fiberglass disk, then injected super thick epoxy putty into the void.

This should give me a really solid surface
for the new faucet. I won't have to worry
about it getting loose.

Here's another look at the bottom
of that faucet.
It has a single long mounting bolt.

Note that the faucet was designed to fit into that household mounting plate, and has two flat spots on either side that would keep it aligned front and center.

Since I can't use the mounting plate, I used the bolt to keep the faucet aligned properly. This hole in the fiberglass backing plate will keep the faucet from turning in the hole.
I hope.

The faucet was set in place and the special nut and washer fastened underneath. Then I pulled it up a bit and injected some red Loctite on the bolt.

I also put a thin bead of LifeSeal sealant around the edge of the hole, and then cranked down hard on the mounting nut.

Here's a look at the bottom side.

I can't actually see this, but just stuck the camera up there in macro mode and
snapped a dozen shots.

At the top you can see the big glop
of epoxy putty. The odd looking washer is on the bottom, and the long mounting nut with red loctite gluing it in place.

The special mounting nut made it really easy to use a a socket on a 12 inch extension to tighten the whole assembly down.

This looks solid.

This project is really being driven by the
new water heater, which involved pulling new pipe.
Since I was pulling new pipe, I replaced most of the old polybutylene pipe with Flex-Pex. This is the current standard for RV and Marine plumbing, and is also used in residential construction.

It's good stuff, and easy to use.
After I'm satisfied that I have no leaks or drips, I'll secure all the pipes to the bulkheads.

The new plumbing has its own page, though.

Here's a picture of the thing at work.

Whoopee.

Hot and cold running water again. Finally.

Of course, there *is* that great big hole left in the sink top, from the old faucet control.

This will actually work out well, because I want to mount a
manually pumped sea water faucet,
to conserve fresh water.