New Stove

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Galley ... Projects

 

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Galley ... Projects

February 2008 --

After converting from CNG to Propane,
the stove itself also needs to be converted.

But even after converting, I'd have a 26 year old stove. So I decided to replace it.

The challenge was getting a 22 inch wide stove through a 17 inch doorway. Both the old and new stoves will have to be disassembled and carried onto the boat a piece at a time.

Great.

 

This flexible power driver extension really came in handy for this job. The tip is magnetic, so it holds onto screws, and one can weave it through tight spots to reduce the number of parts that have to be removed.

Here's the old stove,
with the top and sides removed.

I did not remove the oven door.
I'd never get it to line up right again,
so left that as a last resort.

I'm giving this stove away to someone in the marina, so didn't want to break anything.

All gas fittings were left alone.

By taking the sides off, and sliding the top burner assembly around, it could be wiggled through the 17 inch door.

The CNG tank and regulator are going with the stove,
since everything is now converted to propane.

It took a while to figure it out.

These burner pans are bolted to the burners. So even though the entire top is hinged, it won't swing up until those two small screws are removed.

I almost wrecked the stove before I figured that out,
but fortunately refrained
from using the
"frustrated bigger hammer" approach.

Everything was labelled, if there was any chance of confusion.

The space got a good scrubbing.

I brought some paint to the boat, just for the sides, but then decided it really didn't need it.

Note the new propane hose.
It's protected by some water hose as it exits the bulkhead.
The white hose is held in place
with epoxy putty.

Now, the challenge is to get the new stove inside the boat.

Conceptually, it's assembled like the old one. But all the details are different.

But, at least I know that I can get it in once the
sides and top are removed.

 

The stove works, so before drilling holes it would be a good idea to come up with a plan.

This is absolutely great. I turned out the lights and took a picture of the stove on full blast.
My old CNG stove never put out this much heat.
Outside, it's very cold and rainy, and the deck was very cold. The sudden heat from underneath caused an ominous popping sound, so I immediately shut the stove off. I think I'll make some kind of metal "hood" over the area, so that heat doesn't go straight up and warm the deck. I don't want to have expansion of the core delaminate the deck.

With the rainy weather, it was impossible to properly test the installation for propane leaks. So I shut everything off at the tank and called it a weekend.

So, again, with the top, sides and bottom completely removed, the functioning unit could wiggle through the 17 inch door.

And it was done without touching
any gas line or fitting.

Putting it back together took all afternoon.

A new bead of silicone was set around the edges of the plate.

I covered the stove top with masking tape, and screwed the plates into place.
Then traced the edges with an exacto knife.

I really need to seal the plate edges,
or the inside of the stove will become a
corroded smelly mess in a few years.

The final step of reassembly was putting the burner plates back on.

Seaward set a bead of silicone around the burners, to provide a gasket. It makes sense, since every spill on the stove top would want to run under the plate and inside the stove.

Unfortunately, the silicone is lower than the edge of the plate, and doesn't actually seal anything.

Then the plate was permanently installed. Of course, now it will be a real pain to remove in the future. However, if it doesn't leak, it won't have to be disassembled for cleaning.

The top of the stove can still be lifted, by removing
the small screws and taking
the whole thing off.

The old teak blocks that supported the gimbals had been removed and refinished, then bolted back in the same spot.

Seaward got smart, and this stove uses the exact same size of sheet metal screw everywhere.

Thank you.

The stove is plumbed to the hose using a standard two foot pig tail, well secured to the liner behind the stove. The stove will be swinging on gimbals, so the hose needs to be protected from the constant movement.

My moment of satisfaction was tempered with the realization that the stove is crooked. I used the original gimbal positions, so maybe it has always been crooked and I just never noticed.

It also sits much higher than the old stove. I think that Seaward changed the gimbal mounting locations.

It's a good thing I didn't paint bulkheads, since it looks like I'll need to move the gimbal mounts and
drill new holes.

But for now, I'm just going to look at it and think.