New Companionway Boards and Sill
June 2008 --
There's more to this than the boards.
I don't like the sill, because it lets water in.
It needs a groove, or a lip, or something to block easy water ingress.
The outside teak on the sill is totally shot,
with deep grooves in the grain.
It can't be refinished, and I don't have time to rip everything apart and replace it.
I'm focused on function, not form.
I'm going to cover the entire sill with fiberglass and call it a day.
The new sill is made from 1/8" thick vinylester FRP from McMaster-Carr.
Here's the finished view
from the outside.
It's not as comfortable to sit on, that's for sure. However,
it will keep water out.
I should have washed the boat before taking this picture.
Also, I really need to varnish the companionway teak. For
some reason, I've left that gray, like when I bought the boat.
I think it has become
one a "final milestone"
to this boat project,
that I would do just before
sailing off in this boat.
I guess that means it's about time.
Here are the new boards.
They're made from Seaboard, which is Tap Plastics'
version of Starboard.
It's a UV stabilized HDPE.
Instead of the old single huge board, this is in two sections.
Now they'll fit behind the companionway steps.
This was so easy, I can't believe I put it off for seven years.
Here it is a few weeks later.
I built up an inside sill,
about 1/4" high, with strips of the same FRP. The whole thing is set in Teak Brown Lifecaulk.
Well, that was simple. On to the next thing.
Because nothing sticks to HDPE,
I didn't try to get really fancy with the joint between the boards.
There's a large three inch piece of 1/8"
thick fiberglass, painted brown, and screwed into the bottom board with about
I slathered 4200 between the pieces. There should be enough caulk in there to keep it sealed up.
The boards are also cut with a slight downward bevel, so that water won't sit up against the back.